As jobs in these areas become available and the NZBI notified they will be posted in this section.
- MPI, Biosecurity New Zealand
- Local government
- Research consultancies
- Pest control contractors
- Non-governmental Conservation organisations
- Crown Research Institutes (CRIs)
- Tertiary education sector
- Ecological conservation
If you have a job you want to advertise here please contact the National Secretary Diane Fraser:
Unitec Institute of Technology
Victoria Street West
Great Mercury Island Ranger
A position of Island Ranger is available based on Great Mercury Island located on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, accessible by boat from Whitianga. The purpose of the position is to work with island staff to maintain the pest free status and further enhance the bio-diversity of the island. This role would suit someone who is committed to a long-term tenure and be comfortable in living on an offshore island location. The Ranger’s key responsibilities include:
- Implementation of the island’s Biosecurity plan.
- Maintain and service the trapping/detection network.
- Maintain the incursion response kit and be familiar with the procedures.
- Maintain the network of tracks.
- Support ecological weed control projects.
- Support the Argentine ant eradication project.
- Spray fence-lines and manage critical sites for Argentine ant control.
- Monitor and respond to Argentine ant related breaches.
- Provide biosecurity information for staff, suppliers, and stakeholders.
- Liaise with barge and charter boat operators to ensure goods coming on to the island are pest free.
- Support ecological management initiatives.
- Maintain wildlife/ ecological observations log.
- Be familiar with Ecological Management Plan and translocation plans for Mercury Island.
- Communicate regarding the island’s pest free status, dog control, dune care, shore bird nesting areas and Sealegs access.
- Manage biosecurity signage.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Manage and maintain first aid / first responder system and emergency plan and evacuation procedures.
INFORMATION AND REPORTING
- Maintain a database of spatial information for Island Ranger activities.
- Monthly and annual reporting.
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- Competitive salary package.
- Fully furnished two-bedroom accommodation (including power, phone, internet, and Sky)
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED
- A tertiary qualification or proven experience in a similar role.
- Be physically fit and able to undertake a range of practical pest control and biosecurity related tasks.
- Have a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- A practical aptitude with an eye for detail.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Have strong communication skills.
- Highly organised and takes pride in your work completing all activities on time and to a high standard
Research Associate for Applied Molecular Solutions Research Centre, Unitec (0.5FTE)
The School of Environmental Science, Unitec is looking for a 0.5 FTE research associate for Applied Molecular Solutions Research Centre. Applicants would preferably be a microbiologist with experience in culturing fungi and bacteria.
If you are interested, please access the link below:
If you are up for the challenge, we would love to hear from you. The closing date is 27 July at midday.
Please note: we do not always work to fixed closing dates and may start considering applications as they are received so we encourage you to apply early. We will aim to contact all applicants within one week of the position closing date.
Unitec Institute of Technology is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a supportive and inclusive environment for all employees.